Monday, May 7, 2012

REFLECTIONS!


     Everybody always complains to their peers and professors, “why are we learning this? When am I ever going to need to know this in the real world?” The truth is school in general, especially college, is a learning experience in itself. Having responsibility, maintaining specific standards and acting as a mature professional are all skills we develop as students to enter the real world with our eyes wide open. Yeah maybe you won’t need to know soh-cah-toa if you’re going to be a nurse, and maybe reading and writing won’t necessarily be a must have on your resume for your future job as a construction manager. I have learned throughout the years that knowledge is power. If you need to take a college course that has no direct correlation to what you will be doing after school, just suck it up and take in as much as you can. Either way your spending your time and money to obtain the information why not make the most of it, and surprise your future employer when the opportunity comes to shine and show them your more of an asset than what they asked for. Obtain as much as you can in college, and that is what I have reflected in English Literature.
 This class is not about slaving over assignments you have no relationship to. I can personally say I could relate every single assignment to either a world issue, a social issue among my friends and peers, or a personal issue. I was always a bright kid but this class really inspired me to reach beyond my self-expectations, and challenge myself on my best day. The class lectures would always start off referring to a play, or a short story or poem, but evolving into a discussion about ourselves or the world around us. Letting us analyze the world we live in and the human condition in present day and past.


I know that this class in itself will help me succeed throughout the rest of my visit here at SUNY Farmingdale, and beyond into the great abyss of life. The inspiration it has had on me gives me a different kind of feel good sensation unlike the kind you get from that high-five after winning an epic game of beer pong. It gave me the sensation that “winning” can be a term used more diversely than a game. We can beat our lazy selves, and suck it up when it comes game time. We can defeat that part of us that explores the option that “well I could get up and go to class, or… I can stay in my cozy bed all day nestled under my cozy blanket.”


I don’t know where I’ll be in 5 years, 10 years not even next year. Life is so unpredictable and I’ve learned to not try and stress over it. Life will take me in the right direction, and I will use the knowledge and skills I’ve acquired from this class, with the help and participation from all my classmates, to push myself through any obstacle that stands in my way.

1 comment:

  1. Your presentation was excellent! This reflection is wonderful and truly inspires your classmates!

    ReplyDelete